Bacula-users

[Bacula-users] Differentials and Full Backups

2011-01-09 06:02:22
Subject: [Bacula-users] Differentials and Full Backups
From: Guy <guy AT britewhite DOT net>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Sun, 9 Jan 2011 10:58:46 +0000
Hello All,

I'm quite new to Bacula and so far loving it.. it's solving soo many problems
that I was having with running backups in the past.

However I do have a little question/clarification needed.

First some background..

I have two Storage devices, both are disk based.  One remains on site with a 1
month retention period.  The other is a bunch of disks which head OffSite in a
Locked Peli Case. Obviously I need to be sure that the OffSite backup contains
a complete backup solution.  I take the OffSite backup off Site every 2 weeks.

Schedule {
        Name = "SiteCycle"
        # these handle the offsite backups
        Run = Level=Full Pool=OffSite Storage=DriveBays 1st, 3rd, 5th Friday at
20:00
        Run = Level=Differential Pool=OffSite Storage=DriveBays 2nd, 4th Friday
at 20:00
        # OnSite backups..Monthly Full, weekly differential, daily incremental.
        Run = Level=Full Pool=OnSite Storage=datastore 1st Friday at 00:05
        Run = Level=Differential Pool=OnSite Storage=datastore 2nd-5th Friday
at 00:05
        Run = Level=Incremental Pool=OnSite Storage=datastore mon-sun at 23:05
}

Above is the schedule I'm using.. As you can see I'm doing a full backup on
1st, 3rd and 5th Friday of the month, with a Differential in between.
Basically after the differential has finished the disks would be swapped.

The question that arises is this... How can I be sure that the Differential is
done against the Full backup done to the OffSite drives, rather than the Full
backup Done to the OnSite ones??  Specially on the 1st Friday of the Month.

Cheers,
---Guy