Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] VirtualFull using tape drives

2011-01-08 19:05:13
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] VirtualFull using tape drives
From: Dan Langille <dan AT langille DOT org>
To: penne296 AT sapo DOT pt
Date: Sat, 08 Jan 2011 19:02:51 -0500
On 1/7/2011 7:02 PM, penne296 AT sapo DOT pt wrote:

> Citando Jim Barber<jim.barber AT ddihealth DOT com>:
>
>> Yes I am.
>>       I am using a TL2000 tape library with two drives.
>>       The technique can't work if you only have one tape drive.
>>            I'm taking incremental backups Mon-Fri.
>>       Then after the incremental backups are finished on Friday I
>> consolidate them into a VirtualFull backup.
>>            For a VirtualFull backup to work it takes the previous full
>> backup     and the incremental backups since, and combines them to
>> produce new     tape(s) that will be promoted to being the latest
>> full backups.
>>       The first incremental backups ever run for a host will auto
>> upgrade     to a full backup so you're covered for that.
>>            The process seems to work well for me, after I worked around a
>> minor     problem.
>>       After the incremental backup is complete, tapes are left in the
>>      drives.
>>       If tape X is in drive 1 after the incremental backups are
>> complete     and the VirtualFull wishes to load it it into drive 0
>> to read from;     then Bacula can't eject the tape from drive 1 and
>> then load it into     drive 0 and deadlocks for user intervention.
>>       User intervention doesn't help either as the tape you want to
>> eject     is locked by Bacula, so you end up stopping daemons and
>> interrupting     the backup.
>>            The solution is to use an administrative job that is scheduled
>> to     eject all tapes from the drives after the incremental backups
>> are     done, and before the VirtualFull backup starts.
>
>> Perhaps I should have just raised a bug on that...
>> .
>> .
>> .
>> .
>>
>> ----------Jim Barbe
>

> i raised this issue in the devel list  a few month ago but nobody
> seemed interested in solving this problem.
>
> the subject of my message was:    bug ? bacula asks for a volume that
> is already mounterd
>
> maybe you will be more lucky?
>
> the  idea of scheduling a low priority job to release the tapes is
> bright but solving this bug would be preferable !!!

There are many things to do.  Everything must be assigned a priority.
When there is more work than people, what else can be done?  The
development team is always looking for more contributions.  Until then,
there will always be something that is not given the care and attention
someone thinks it deserves.

--
Dan Langille - http://langille.org/