Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Fwd: Extremly slow backup

2011-01-08 09:22:35
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Fwd: Extremly slow backup
From: Marcin Krol <hawk AT pld-linux DOT org>
Date: Sat, 08 Jan 2011 15:19:56 +0100
> Are you talking about a full backup or some other level? If it is not
> a full backup
> you will get low speed because bacula only is backing up the changed files
> and it takes a long time to go through a filesystem with many thousands of
> files
> to find out what files have changed.

Both full and differential backup run with same speed. Going through
filesystem shouldn't affect backup speed. Rsync (which I used for
testing) is doing pretty much same job - compares checksum of each and
every file and transfers it if its different. Its 50 times faster than
Bacula doing same job (50 MB/s against 1 MB/s). Unless Bacula is doing
something more than simply comparing md5 checksums it should run at
comparable speed or I'm missing something...

M.