Bacula-users

[Bacula-users] Fwd: Extremly slow backup

2011-01-07 08:15:07
Subject: [Bacula-users] Fwd: Extremly slow backup
From: John Drescher <drescherjm AT gmail DOT com>
To: bacula-users <Bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Fri, 7 Jan 2011 08:12:27 -0500
---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: John Drescher <drescherjm AT gmail DOT com>
Date: Fri, Jan 7, 2011 at 8:12 AM
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Extremly slow backup
To: "mailing AT securitylabs DOT it" <mailing AT securitylabs DOT it>

On Fri, Jan 7, 2011 at 4:22 AM, mailing AT securitylabs DOT it
<mailing AT securitylabs DOT it> wrote:
> On 07/01/2011 09:49, Marcin Krol wrote:
>>> IMHO if "Spool Attributes" is not enabled, bacula inserts metadata into
>>> the catalog after every file - in your case 660'000 inserts instead of 1
>>> large insert with "Spool Attributes".
>>>
>>> please enable "Spool Attributes" and try again.
>>>
>>> to prevent  shoe-shining  of the tape, I would recommend to enable "Spool
>>> Data" too.
>>>
>>> - Thomas
>> I've added both spool attributes and spool data. Backup speed of my mail
>> server is still about 1 MB per second. Backup speed for other machines
>> now reaches up to 80 MB/s.

Are you talking about a full backup or some other level? If it is not
a full backup
you will get low speed because bacula only is backing up the changed files
and it takes a long time to go through a filesystem with many thousands of files
to find out what files have changed.

John

--
John M. Drescher