Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] VirtualFull using tape drives

2011-01-06 17:07:59
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] VirtualFull using tape drives
From: "James Harper" <james.harper AT bendigoit.com DOT au>
To: "Jesper Krogh" <jesper AT krogh DOT cc>, <bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Fri, 7 Jan 2011 09:00:26 +1100
> Hi
>
> Anyone doing VirtualFull backups using tapedrives only?
> Can they shortly describe their setup? pro/con/etc?

I'm not, but can tell you it's probably not a good idea - you'd end up
with extra wear and tear on your tape drives, as well as greatly reduced
performance while the target tape drive waited for data to be read from
your source tape drive(s).

I do a weekly full to do disk, then 3 x daily incremental to disk, and
then a virtual full to tape every night (for DR purposes). Disk space is
cheap, and you could easily build a disk array that could keep your
tapedrive fed with data for much less than the cost of another tape
drive (and tapes).

James