Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Creating "archival" backup

2011-01-06 15:02:12
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Creating "archival" backup
From: Thomas Mueller <thomas AT chaschperli DOT ch>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Thu, 6 Jan 2011 19:59:25 +0000 (UTC)
Am Thu, 06 Jan 2011 13:48:40 -0300 schrieb Kleber Leal:

> I do it at last 31th december.
> I created a Full backup (VirtualFull) to a tape and purged the volume.
> But, you should not to do differential ou incremental backups between
> you full and purge.
> You can use bscan to repopulate the catalog again if you need.

cons to bscan'ning:
- it takes long to bscan back to catalog. but if you need exactly THIS
tape it, you need it fast.
- restore takes much longer because not all the tape details are restored
into the catalog*

- Thomas

* had to bscan tapes a while back (v. 3.0.x times). seems that restore
jobs from these tapes read the whole tape from beginning to the end  - no
matter how many files you selected for restore.