Bacula-users

[Bacula-users] Using another storage to make a restore.

2011-01-06 10:26:54
Subject: [Bacula-users] Using another storage to make a restore.
From: Cedric Devillers <cde AT amstergroup DOT com>
To: "bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net" <bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Thu, 6 Jan 2011 16:25:45 +0100
Hello list,

I would like to tell you about a problem we're having after upgrading
bacula 2.2.6 to 5.0.3.

In our setup we have the main bacula server (director and storage) with
a LTO3 tape drive. All jobs are done on this server using his local
storage (storage1). The is also another storage daemon running on
another server and configured in the director (storage2), but not used
for backup jobs.

The second storage (storage2) is only used for restores or in case of
problems with the main bacula server.

Both storage daemon have the same media type (LTO3).

So to make a restore with 2.2.6, we mount the tape on the second storage
(storage2) then connect to bconsole and launch the restore wizard. At
the end of the wizard we choose storage2 as the storage ressources for
the job en everything was fine.

But now when the restore job is launched, it will always use the first
storage (storage1) and fail if the tape is not mounted on that drive.

It seems like a bug to me so i've browsed the bug database and found
some contradictory informations :
Here http://bugs.bacula.org/view.php?id=1618 , kerns says that bacula
will always restores from the same storage daemon where the backup was
made. If thats true now it was not the case before (because it worked in
our setup).
But here http://bugs.bacula.org/view.php?id=1579 ebollengier seems to
think that it should work (maybe not recommended).

So my question is : is this a bug in 5.0.x ? Is using one storage daemon
for backup and another for restore supported at all with bacula ?
If i use different mediatypes for each storage deamon, will i be able to
use one for backup and the other for restore ?