Bacula-users

[Bacula-users] Bacula Status

2011-01-01 08:40:37
Subject: [Bacula-users] Bacula Status
From: Kern Sibbald <kern AT sibbald DOT com>
To: "bacula-announce" <bacula-announce AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>, "bacula-users" <bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>, "bacula-devel" <bacula-devel AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Sat, 1 Jan 2011 14:43:05 +0100
Hello,

I hope you all had a good holiday season, and I wish you a great New Year
2011.

Although there has not been any major change since my last status message in
September 2010, I would like to let you know where we currently are and where
we think we are going.

1. Current version
2. Next version
3. Bacula conference
4. Bacula Systems
5. Your feedback

Current version:
Our current version of Bacula is 5.0.3, and it seems quite stable. As
mentioned in the last report, we do have a growing number of bugs.
We haven't yet made much progress (little community participation) and lots of
new development work keeping us busy.  Hopefully the New Year will bring us
more time to dive into bugs.

Next version:
We expect the next version (probably 5.2.0) to be released in February-April
2011.  It already has significantly advanced with the following items:

 - License change from GPLv2 to AGPLv3
 - Many improvements to Bat + a more stable build
 - Restore file selection lsmark shows output properly indented
 - Many improvements and bug fixes to the plugin API
 - Additional ACL handling
 - Bacula-web enhancements
 - New Maximum Bandwidth and Maximum Bandwidth Per Job directives
 - new Purge Migrate Job directive
 - Probable workaround for OpenSSL seg fault after sys call interrupt
 - VSS snapshot failures now fail Jobs
 - Core code delta code
 - Improvements to deadlock detection
 - Fix bug #1633 where Windows service was not properly removed with /remove
 - Make Bacula compatible with MySQL 5.5
 - Make SD automatically fix the Volume size in the Catalog when out of sync
 - Allow to run Verify job against any job (project 12)
 - Start FTP storage daemon backend integration
 - New prune algorithm to avoid orphan incremental/differential jobs
 - New CRC32 implementation (much faster)
 - Implement %f %b to get JobFiles, JobBytes in RunScript

Hopefully, it will have even more new features by the time it is released.

After the new release, we will do a new vote on the Projects list.

Bacula conference:
Our first Bacula conference (for everyone) took place on the 27th and 28th of
September, in Yverdon, Switzerland near the Bacula Systems office.  There was
much more participation that I had expected.

Next year, we will probably hold the Bacula conference in Germany in
conjunction with the DassIT annual conference.

Bacula Systems:
Bacula Systems is continuing to supply many, if not most, of the new features
to the Bacula project.  My time for the project, as I had previously
predicted, has been reducted a bit due to the ongoing Bacula Systems
activities, but in addition to myself, there are now three other Bacula
Systems employees regularly contributing to the project.  We hope to see this
grow in the future.

Your feedback:
I appreciate the fact that all of you use, and contribute to the project
(documentation, bug fixes, ideas, translations, helping other users, ...).
Please keep it up for 2011.

There is one very simple way that you can help me understanding what you like
and dislike about Bacula and Bacula Sytems so that I can improve them.  This
is by participating in a very short, completely anonymous (no IP address
capture or anything), survey.  If you would like to help in this way, please
follow the following link:

    http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/5CXJ7S3

After 30 January, the survey will no longer accept input.  Please do me a New
Year's favor and complete it well before the deadline.

Thanks for using Bacula.  :-)

Best wishes for 2011 and beyond,

Kern