Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Copy Job performance issues

2010-12-07 07:22:32
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Copy Job performance issues
From: Radosław Korzeniewski <radoslaw AT korzeniewski DOT net>
To: Christoph Litauer <litauer AT uni-koblenz DOT de>
Date: Tue, 7 Dec 2010 13:18:31 +0100
2010/12/7 Christoph Litauer <litauer AT uni-koblenz DOT de>

I can see no bottleneck at all ... but "status storage" still reports 40MB/s write performance.

AFAIK, when bacula-sd run a copy job it perform this by single thread, synchronous.
So, bacula-sd read a block from source volume, then write it into destination volume, repeats until end of source volume.
This leads to about a half of expected throughput.

There was a thread on bacula-devel list about it: "slow copying from tape to tape."
At this thread Kern confirmed a possible improvement:

Yes, I am working on this now (a very low priority project for the moment) but
it will probably only be in the Enterprise version and not in the community
version.

bye

--
Radosław Korzeniewski