Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Using Copy Job to create quarterly FULL backups

2010-11-30 20:41:31
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Using Copy Job to create quarterly FULL backups
From: Dan Langille <dan AT langille DOT org>
To: Paulo Martinez <martinezino AT googlemail DOT com>
Date: Tue, 30 Nov 2010 20:35:59 -0500
On 11/30/2010 6:05 PM, Paulo Martinez wrote:
> Am 30.11.2010 um 03:12 schrieb Dan Langille:
>> On 11/29/2010 5:00 AM, Paulo Martinez wrote:
>>>
>>> I am also thinking about the same setup (Full after a half year for
>>> ten years).
>>>
>>> I am just curious why "Run = Level=Full jan jun 1st sun at 8:15"
>>> would become complicated?
>>
>> I'm thinking about the INCR and DIFF jobs that follow it.  They need
>> to be
>> based upon something (i.e. the Full).  My initial concern was they
>> all needed
>> to be in the same Pool.  That is incorrect.  Restores can collect
>> backups from
>> different Pools.
>>
>> Where it does get complicated is the other schedule, for regular
>> Full backups:
>>
>>    Run = Level=Full Feb Mar May Jun Aug Sep Nov Dec 1st sun at 8:15
>>
>> OK, it's not that complicated.
>

> For quarterly, should it not be .. Jan Apr Jul Oct ?

Yes.   The above is for the non-quarterly full backups

> I want to start a new setup with a semestral full backup tomorrow. With
>
> Schedule {
>     Name = "WeeklyCycle"
>     Run = Level=Full                           w02 wed at 2:11
>     Run = Level=Full                           w27 wed at 2:11
>     Run = Level=Differential                   1st-5th sun at 22:11  # for 27
> weeks
> until next full
>     Run = Level=Incremental                    mon-sat at 22:11      # for 2
> weeks
> }
>
> Schedule {   # catalog backup
>     Name = "WeeklyCycleAfterBackup"
>     Run = Level=Full Pool=Full-semestral              w02 wed at 2:21
>     Run = Level=Full Pool=Full-semestral              w27 wed at 2:21
>     Run = Level=Full Pool=Differential-week   1st-5th sun at 22:21
>     Run = Level=Full Pool=Incremental-day     mon-sat at 22:21
> }
>
> My single job have
>
>     Full Backup Pool = Full-semestral
>     Differential Backup Pool = Differential-week
>     Incremental Backup Pool = Incremental-day
>

> spreading the different backup levels to different volumes/pools.

This is different from what I want.  You are doing a Full backup every
six months. I'm doing one every month.  But every quarter, one of the
backups goes to a different pool.  Thus, I need two backup Jobs.  One
with a quarterly Schedule, another with a non-quarterly shedule.
something like this:

Schedule {
   Name = "QuarterlyCycle"
   Run = Level=Full jan apr jul oct 1st sun at 8:15
}

Schedule {
   Name = "Q-OtherCycle"
   Run = Level=Full Feb Mar May Jun Aug Sep Nov Dec 1st sun at 8:15
   Run = Differential 2nd-5th sun at 5:55
   Run = Incremental mon-sat at 5:55
}

Then two Jobs:

Job {
   Name     = "BackupCatalog"
    Full Backup Pool = Full-month
    Differential Backup Pool = Differential-week
    Incremental Backup Pool = Incremental-day
}

Job {
    Name     = "Quarterly"
    Full Backup Pool = Full-quarterly
}

Note that only Full backups go into Full-quarterly Pool.

>>> Furthermore i thought about putting one Full backup at one
>>> Volume(set).
>>> I am not sure if "Maximum Volume Jobs = 1" would accomplishing this.
>>> Because the data could grow and needing a second tape. Or how to
>>> delete
>>> the appendable flag of the volume? I read something about that but
>>> can't remember where :-)
>>
>> If a Job requires more than one Volume, "Maximum Volume Jobs = 1"
>> would not hinder that.
>

> I see now. I set to Maximum Volume Jobs = 2 to get my
> WeeklyCycleAfterBackup catalog backup onto it (just for the full
> backups).

If you want to put two jobs into it...

--
Dan Langille - http://langille.org/