Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Using Copy Job to create quarterly FULL backups

2010-11-30 18:15:44
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Using Copy Job to create quarterly FULL backups
From: Paulo Martinez <martinezino AT googlemail DOT com>
To: bacula-users <bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Wed, 1 Dec 2010 00:05:32 +0100
Am 30.11.2010 um 03:12 schrieb Dan Langille:
> On 11/29/2010 5:00 AM, Paulo Martinez wrote:
>>
>> I am also thinking about the same setup (Full after a half year for
>> ten years).
>>
>> I am just curious why "Run = Level=Full jan jun 1st sun at 8:15"
>> would become complicated?
>
> I'm thinking about the INCR and DIFF jobs that follow it.  They need
> to be
> based upon something (i.e. the Full).  My initial concern was they
> all needed
> to be in the same Pool.  That is incorrect.  Restores can collect
> backups from
> different Pools.
>
> Where it does get complicated is the other schedule, for regular
> Full backups:
>
>   Run = Level=Full Feb Mar May Jun Aug Sep Nov Dec 1st sun at 8:15
>
> OK, it's not that complicated.

For quarterly, should it not be .. Jan Apr Jul Oct ?

I want to start a new setup with a semestral full backup tomorrow. With

Schedule {
   Name = "WeeklyCycle"
   Run = Level=Full                              w02 wed at 2:11
   Run = Level=Full                              w27 wed at 2:11
   Run = Level=Differential                      1st-5th sun at 22:11  # for 27
weeks
until next full
   Run = Level=Incremental                       mon-sat at 22:11      # for 2
weeks
}

Schedule {   # catalog backup
   Name = "WeeklyCycleAfterBackup"
   Run = Level=Full Pool=Full-semestral                 w02 wed at 2:21
   Run = Level=Full Pool=Full-semestral                 w27 wed at 2:21
   Run = Level=Full Pool=Differential-week      1st-5th sun at 22:21
   Run = Level=Full Pool=Incremental-day        mon-sat at 22:21
}

My single job have

   Full Backup Pool = Full-semestral
   Differential Backup Pool = Differential-week
   Incremental Backup Pool = Incremental-day

spreading the different backup levels to different volumes/pools.

>> Furthermore i thought about putting one Full backup at one
>> Volume(set).
>> I am not sure if "Maximum Volume Jobs = 1" would accomplishing this.
>> Because the data could grow and needing a second tape. Or how to
>> delete
>> the appendable flag of the volume? I read something about that but
>> can't remember where :-)
>
> If a Job requires more than one Volume, "Maximum Volume Jobs = 1"
> would not hinder that.

I see now. I set to Maximum Volume Jobs = 2 to get my
WeeklyCycleAfterBackup catalog backup onto it (just for the full
backups).

Thanks

PM