Bacula-users

[Bacula-users] Non-working bacula client breaks backups

2010-11-24 09:42:26
Subject: [Bacula-users] Non-working bacula client breaks backups
From: "Marcus Mülbüsch, AS-Infodienste GmbH (Systemadministration)" <muelbuesch AT as-infodienste DOT de>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Wed, 24 Nov 2010 15:13:10 +0100
Hello all,

    I have a bacula client (Version: 5.0.2 (28 April 2010)  VSS Linux
Cross-compile Win32) running on a Windows-XP system. Now it happens that
this client somehow has started a job but does not continue and
especially does not finish. It does not start new jobs (since it thinks
it's old job is running).

    Since it does not finish all later jobs that need another Pool
Resource are "waiting on Storage File" indefinitely. Actually all my
backups are on hold for the last two hours.

    Restarting the director does not work: On it's next cycle it tries
to start the job again, but the client will do nothing and thus all
following backups are on hold. Cancelling the job does not help. The
director shows the job as not running, but still the following jobs are
waiting.

    Unfortunately the client is a at a remote location, so I cannot
access it physically.

    I have removed the job from the bacula-dir.conf and restarted the
director, so temporarily my problems are "solved".

    However, when I get access to the machine, what should I look at?
How can it be? Beyond restarting the service, what can I do to prevent
that from ever happening again?

    Here are the last entries what the director knew from the client:

JobId 73925 Job ###.2010-11-24_12.15.00_34 is running.
     Incremental Backup Job started: 24-Nov-10 12:15
     Files=0 Bytes=0 Bytes/sec=0 Errors=0
     Files Examined=0
     SDReadSeqNo=5 fd=1048
JobId 73998 Job ###.2010-11-24_14.48.44_25 is running.
     Incremental System or Console Job started: 24-Nov-10 14:48
     Files=0 Bytes=0 Bytes/sec=0 Errors=0
     Files Examined=0
     SDReadSeqNo=3 fd=844

    The last Job was started by hand just to test whether the first job
really is dead. Both jobs remain at that status indefinately.

    The bacula-director is "Version: 5.0.3 (04 August 2010)
i686-pc-linux-gnu gentoo" running on "2.6.22-vs2.2.0.7-gentoo"

    Thanks for any help or pointers,

Marcus Mülbüsch