Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] bscan, file retention, and pruning

2010-11-19 21:58:28
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] bscan, file retention, and pruning
From: Craig Miskell <craig.miskell AT opus.co DOT nz>
To: Martin Simmons <martin AT lispworks DOT com>, bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Sat, 20 Nov 2010 15:54:48 +1300
>>> The only problem with the latter approach is that pruning will still occur
>>> if
>>> a backup runs before you have finished the restore.
>> Thanks for both suggestions; the first is a nice clean option, although
>> someone
>> else suggested making the bscan'd volume Read Only, which is even less
>> intrusive
>> (affects just that volume).
>
> Does setting VolStatus to Read Only work?  It will certainly prevent
> recycling, but I'm a little sceptical that it will prevent file pruning
> because that code doesn't look at the Media table AFAICS.
The fine documentation claims it does
(http://www.bacula.org/5.0.x-manuals/en/utility/utility/Volume_Utility_Tools.html#SECTION00274000000000000000),
but it wouldn't be the first time in history that documentation is wrong.

I don't have an easy test facility from where I am right now, but I
think I will have to try it out early next week and see what actually
happens.

I will report back.

Craig