Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Bacula Quick Backup Test

2010-11-16 02:10:24
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Bacula Quick Backup Test
From: "Timo Neuvonen" <timo-news AT tee-en DOT net>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Tue, 16 Nov 2010 09:05:36 +0200
> I would like to perform a quick backup test on my bacula server to check
> if it works.
> On bconsole, I run the a job, then checked it with "list jobs". The job
> status is R.
> Then it showed the message:
> 06-Nov 23:47 ubuntu-dir JobId 12: No prior Full backup Job record found.
> 06-Nov 23:47 ubuntu-dir JobId 12: No prior or suitable Full backup found
> in catalog. Doing FULL backup.
>
> But when I checked the backup directory, the volume didnt increase. On
> bconsole, doing the list volume command showed that Last Written is
> 0000-00-00 00:00:00.
> What is the problem?

The jos status code R stands for "Running", AFAIK.
- had the job finished by then, or was it still running? The messages above
just mean the very beginning of the job.
- what other messages did the job output when it really finished?

> Also is there a quick way to check that backup works?

The more "real-life-like" way you run the test job, the better odds you have
that your test gives a real-life-like result. Fancy quick checks may be
handy sometimes, but since they include artifical quickening, who knows what
might be the result of a real run?

> instead of waiting for the job to run? because sometimes I adjust the
> system date for the job to run.

For me that sounds frightening. Adjusting the system date may confuse
several things: although your test would look nice, it may interfere with
your next real backup run after re-adjusting the system date. I'd bet the
system hasn't been designed (and tested) to cope with catalog contents that
look like the previous jobs had been run in the future.
If possible, it's also a good idea to try to keep the jobs running at hours
when there is no reason to expect daylight saving changes.

When I need a test job after some system changes, I usually manually (from
console) re-shedule a job that recently had produced reasonably small amount
of data into the backup media. And sometimes it's also necessary to make
sure the reverse way (the restore job) works. And after any changes, I
closely follow how the real scheduled jobs behave.

--
TiN