Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] possible bug in bacula-sd, relating to Type=Files and autochanger

2010-11-12 15:25:46
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] possible bug in bacula-sd, relating to Type=Files and autochanger
From: Philip Brown <phil AT opencsw DOT org>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Fri, 12 Nov 2010 12:21:55 -0800
Martin Simmons writes:

>Have you looked at how the regression tests do it?  In particular:
>http://bacula.git.sourceforge.net/git/gitweb.cgi?p=bacula/bacula;a=blob;f=regress/scripts/bacula-sd-2disk.conf.in;h=7f8f33e9fb1b896aa65db3739dda1d2d367b4154;hb=HEAD

>I don't know if that works, but it is subtly different from your setup.

WOW!

The good news is... it seems to work. Thank you so much!

The bad news is.... this means that the bacula documentation, and
shipped examples, are horribly horribly out of date, and just plain
WRONG!

I will start by mentioning that I'm using bacula 5.0.3

the examples/bacula-sd.conf which is autogenerated, has one and only
one section for a
filesystem based device, which looks like the following:

Device {
  Name = FileStorage
  Media Type = File
  Archive Device = /tmp
  LabelMedia = yes;                   # lets Bacula label unlabeled media
  Random Access = Yes;
  AutomaticMount = yes;               # when device opened, read it
  RemovableMedia = no;
  AlwaysOpen = no;
}

Interestingly, that "works" when by itself. But not referenced by an autochanger
The Device declaration that actually works when used with a virtual
autochanger, is

Device {
  Name = FileStorage0
  Device Type = File
  Media Type = Disk
  Archive Device = /dir/name
  AutomaticMount = yes;
  Autochanger = yes
  Drive Index = 0
  AlwaysOpen = yes;
  RemovableMedia = yes;
}

Notice that there is a "Device Type" that seems to be required.. that
was totally missing.
Notice also, that "Media Type" is now specified as "Disk", instead of "File" !!!
(Hmm. I guess this is free-form and does not strictly "matter". But
its still really confusing and bug-inducing, to have that
inconsistency!)

It's really tough to find any reference under
http://www.bacula.org/5.0.x-manuals/en/main/
of "This is the proper way to set up a Filesystem based storage demon device"

There is no official example of a "Disk based device" in
(src)/examples/devices either.

PS: I think my original message was right, in that there is some kind
of subtle bug in the storage demon code.
It seems like, *if Device Type is not specified*,  it defaults to type
= File, when archive device is a directory, and it is a standalone
device. But it defaults to type=Tape, when device is associated with
an autochanger and not otherwise specified.

Possibly the best way to "fix" this would be to insist that "Device
Type" be always specified explicitly.