Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Unable to position to end of data on device

2010-11-11 16:16:38
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Unable to position to end of data on device
From: "Edward M. Markowski" <emm AT edmarkowski DOT com>
To: Alexander Kosykh <avkosykh AT gmail DOT com>
Date: Thu, 11 Nov 2010 14:57:02 -0600 (CST)
Is this happening with this one tape only, or all tapes you try in this
particulat drive?

If the problem is only with this tape, is the tape old and been used a
lot?  If so, then the tape has reached/passed the end of it's usefull
life.  If this tape drive is in a library, check the library for events it
can provide more info.

LTO tape drives track the number of errors, and I think tape usage,
per-cartrage and will throw this error if the tape falls below a quality
threshold.  I think the usage counts are written into the RFID that is
inside the cartrage.  When we get these messages we "retire" the tape.

Hope this helps.

Ed m.

On Thu, 11 Nov 2010, Alexander Kosykh wrote:

> Hi.
>
> I run my bacula on FreeBSD 8.0-RELEASE (ProLiant ML370 G3) with HP MSL6000
> ULTRIUM960. My bacula server was hard reseted then bacula write on tape.
> Then server came up and bacula start working it mark tape in "error" with
> log message
> 11-Nov 13:41 backup-sd JobId 401: Error: Unable to position to end of data
> on device "ULTRIUM960" (/dev/sa0): ERR=dev.c:956 ioctl MTEOM error on
> "ULTRIUM960" (/dev/sa0). ERR=Input/output error.
>
> I test this tape with mt and get this
> #mt -f /dev/sa0 eod
> mt: /dev/sa0: eod: Input/output error
>
> How can i fix that tape to keep data that already on it and will be able to
> append data till end of tape?
>

> Regards,
> Alexander.

!DSPAM:4cdc589f11881512535287!