Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] General questions after 1 year use

2010-11-09 05:16:57
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] General questions after 1 year use
From: Dermot Beirne <dermot.beirne AT dpd DOT ie>
To: dan <dan AT langille DOT org>
Date: Tue, 9 Nov 2010 10:07:22 +0000
Thanks for replying.

On my first point below, where you suggest the volume retention is too
low, the volume retention for the monthly tape backups to 12 months,
yet if I attempt to restore a file from a jobid of, say, last March
monthly backup, it is no longer in the catalogue, and I need to bscan
that monthly tape volume to repopulate the catalogue, so I can restore
a file.   Is the fact that these are "copy" jobs overriding the
retention on the tape pools with the shorter disk pools retentions, or
can you expand on your suggestion that the retention is the problem.

On the second point, I understand that purging is the last resort, but
could not find an alternative.  We have a tape autoloader with 8
slots.  Every day we remove the tapes used that day and replace with
Scratch tapes.  The problem is that Bacula never moves tapes back into
Scratch until it has none left.  If it is writing the backups to tape,
and uses the last Scratch tape, it will then recycle an old tape
volume (presumably) and ask for manual intervention for someone to
insert this tape, hence the backups stop.  Is there a way it can
recycle the volumes back into Scratch before the pool is empty, so the
admin has enough to refill the autoloader each day?

On the third point, I do use limits on the disk volumes, which is
forcing the recycling as you say, and this works well to stop bacula
causing the backup server to run out of space before it tries to
recycle, however, how do I do this for Tape volumes?  If I set such a
limit on the tape pools, its hard to predict which ones it will
recycle, and hence it will stop and wait for manual intervention to
load the tape it has just decided to recycle.  I think it needs to do
recycling earlier in the process, so that the Scratch pool is self
replenishing.

Appreciate your advice.
Dermot.