Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Help needed setting up DVD under Windows

2010-11-08 20:29:06
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Help needed setting up DVD under Windows
From: John Drescher <drescherjm AT gmail DOT com>
To: ganiuszka <ganiuszka AT gmail DOT com>, bacula-users <Bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Mon, 8 Nov 2010 20:26:08 -0500
On Mon, Nov 8, 2010 at 5:18 PM, ganiuszka <ganiuszka AT gmail DOT com> wrote:
> Phil Stracchino pisze:
>> The DVD writing code in bacula proved to be both unreliable and
>> unmaintainable, has been deprecated in the last several major releases,
>> and is planned to be removed shortly.
>
> Hi,
>
> Where did you get this information? Is it proven message?
>
>>From the developers of bacula. They have spoken on this subject time
and time again. DVD writing will be removed soon because it does not
work and no one has agreed to take over that task.

> I use backup to DVD from long time and in my opinion as Bacula user this
> functionality works well.

You must be lucky. It's been seriously broken for at least 4 years.
Especially since the person developing the DVD quit..

> I think, it will be a big pity for users for
> which tape drives are too expensive and for which disk based backup is
> not enough (for example using at home or small office). DVD discs are
> cheap and backup to DVD is nice solution.

I used to be in this category for my bacula home use but now Hard
Drives are many times cheaper than DVDs if you need to backup more
than a few dozen DVDs worth. Just last week a 2TB Samsung was on
special for $65 US including shipping. I now have 4 of them so I can
make multiple backups..

> If it is true that the DVD code will soon be removed then remains for me
> respect this decision.

Yes. Search the archives.

> What do you think about it?
>
> Best regards.