Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] [Bacula-devel] Bacula Project will Die

2010-11-06 15:38:21
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] [Bacula-devel] Bacula Project will Die
From: Kern Sibbald <kern AT sibbald DOT com>
To: bacula-devel AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Sat, 6 Nov 2010 20:38:12 +0100
On Friday 05 November 2010 19:20:25 Blake Dunlap wrote:
> On Fri, Nov 5, 2010 at 13:16, Blake Dunlap <ikiris AT gmail DOT com> wrote:
> > On Fri, Nov 5, 2010 at 13:06, Heitor Medrado de Faria <
> >
> > heitor AT bacula.com DOT br> wrote:
> >> What if new comunity features (ex.: rerun failed jobs) were priced, and
> >> if we got that ammount on donations Bacula System would implement and
> >> distribute the code?
> >
> > For the record, both of my contract employers, and myself included, would
> > be at least somewhat inclined to go this route (I probably personally
> > moreso than them, being a fairly strong believer in OS projects, as well
> > as Bacula Community edition itself), while neither would ever consider
> > purchasing an ongoing contract for Bacula Enterprise in its current state
> > (as far as we can tell at least, which brings me to my below point).
> >

> > And as an unrelated side note, you guys should really consider redoing
> > the Bacula Systems / Enterprise site layout, it is very difficult to find
> > an actual feature comparison between the two versions (as well as any
> > kind of change log on Enterprise), other than useless marketing drivel.
> >
> > I tried to talk to one of my employeers about considering purchasing, and
> > they completely dismissed the idea after researching the product, as they
> > could discern no tangible benifit to the company, and did not want to
> > spend the time to research it in depth to try to divine the possibility.
> >
> > -Blake
>
> Actually, I would like to clarify my stance at least personally, I would
> absolutely donate to "projects" that benifited me, even if the donation
> goals were fairly large, if they were to be released to community edition
> upon meeting the goal, while I will never personally ever be able to
> justify a subscription to Enterprise.

These kinds of things are a bit hard to accomplish, and I am not very strong
at administration stuff.  For example, who would collect the money?  Would it
go directly to Bacula Systems?  Who would judge when the project was properly
completed?  When there is a contract between two companies these things can
be worked out eventhough sometimes it is complicated, but how do you deal
with say 50 people who are willing to "donate" for something?

If someone knows how to make this work and is willing to make it happen, I
would be glad to listen.

Best regards,

Kern