Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Bad disk noises - replace the volume without restarting the backup?

2010-11-05 17:05:02
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Bad disk noises - replace the volume without restarting the backup?
From: John Drescher <drescherjm AT gmail DOT com>
To: Bruno Friedmann <bruno AT ioda-net DOT ch>
Date: Fri, 5 Nov 2010 17:02:56 -0400
On Fri, Nov 5, 2010 at 4:49 PM, Bruno Friedmann <bruno AT ioda-net DOT ch>
wrote:
> On 11/05/2010 04:18 PM, Phil Stracchino wrote:
>> On 11/05/10 10:35, Mark Luntzel wrote:
>>> Just to clear it up for some people who seem to be confused about the
>>> situation: I am not facing a data loss. The backup medium (a single
>>> hard drive) has gone bad. I did not want to cancel a ~8.8T run with
>>> ~400GB left on account of a single bad 1TB hard drive, but with no
>>> recourse that is what I had to do.
>>
>> I think the real key thing to take away from this is, when you are
>> talking datasets of this size, YOU MUST HAVE REDUNDANCY in your storage.
>>  Otherwise it's like playing Russian roulette with a revolver having an
>> unknown number of loaded chambers.
>>

> Phil, I would said playing Russian roulette without a missing ball :-)

I do agree that a single disk is no good to store your only backup.
However I would add a single raid array containing all of your backups
also can destroy your data. I recommend against that as well. But the
same can be said for a tape. The moral of the story is to have at
least 2 copies of whatever data can not be lost on more than 1 single
storage (disk, raid or tape).

John

John