Bacula-users

[Bacula-users] Can you tell which are active clients from Bacula's database?

2010-11-04 12:58:05
Subject: [Bacula-users] Can you tell which are active clients from Bacula's database?
From: Matthew Seaman <mseaman AT squiz.co DOT uk>
Date: Thu, 04 Nov 2010 16:36:28 +0000
Hi there,

We have a variable population of client machines being backed up
by bacula.  What I'd like to do is build a query for the bacula DB
that will detect eg. if any clients haven't had a full backup within the
last week.  (Yes -- I know there are configuration options to
automatically promote incrementals etc. to fulls in that situation:
we're using them.)  We'll then hook this up to our Nagios so the Ops
team gets alerted.

So I have come up with this query:

SELECT clientid, name, max(endtime) FROM job
    WHERE level = 'F' AND type = 'B' AND jobstatus = 'T'
    GROUP BY clientid, name
    HAVING max(endtime) < now() - interval '7 day'
    ORDER BY name

(We're using Postgresql)

This does pretty much what I want, except that the output includes job
records from clients that have been decommissioned and removed from
bacula-dir.conf.  Now, for the life of me, I can't see anything in the
DB that indicates whether a client backup job is active or not.  Is it
just me being blind or am I going to have to parse that out of the
bacula config files?

        Cheers,

        Matthew

--
Matthew Seaman
Systems Administrator

Squiz Ltd. A Zetland House, 109-123 Clifton Street, London EC2A 4LD
P +44 (0) 207 101 8300 F +44 (0) 870 112 3394 W www.squiz.co.uk

UNITED KINGDOM AUSTRALIA NEW ZEALAND EUROPE UNITED STATES
LONDON EDINBURGH

SUPPORTED OPEN SOURCE SOLUTIONS