Bacula-users

[Bacula-users] What are your suggestions for backups on a large RAID?

2010-11-04 10:13:19
Subject: [Bacula-users] What are your suggestions for backups on a large RAID?
From: Oliver Hoffmann <oh AT dom DOT de>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Thu, 4 Nov 2010 15:08:22 +0100
Hi all,

I'll do backups to disk on a raid6 (28 TB) which is attached via
fibre channel.
There will be 50 clients with data ranging from a few MB to 100 GB or
more for a full backup, tiny files from mail servers as well as large
database ones.
Speed and reliability are both important (as always).

The question now is simply what is the best setup?

Should I do one big volume pool or better a few smaller ones?
I think one big pool is easier to manage.

What is the best size for the volumes?
100 GB seems to be reasonable.

Which file system to have the best transfer rates? xfs? ext4?
xfs could be better here but I am not sure about it.

I like ubuntu. 10.04.1 LTS or the newer 10.10?
I tend to LTS.

What do you think?

Thanks a lot,

Oliver