Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Bad disk noises - replace the volume without restarting the backup?

2010-11-03 18:27:32
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Bad disk noises - replace the volume without restarting the backup?
From: Mark Luntzel <mark AT luntzel DOT com>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Wed, 3 Nov 2010 15:16:28 -0700
On Wed, Nov 3, 2010 at 2:50 PM, Phil Stracchino <alaric AT metrocast DOT net>
wrote:
> On 11/03/10 13:34, Mark Luntzel wrote:
>> The answer is probably no but...
>>
>> I can hear the disk currently being written to making bad noises, and
>> the speed is extremely slow. Bad disk for sure, about to fail. This is
>> at the end of a multi-Terabyte backup, just about 500 gig left and I
>> would REALLY hate to think there is no way out but to start over
>> completely.
>>
>> So is there a way for me to replace that disk without invalidating the
>> entire backup? Running on Linux with an external SATA / FW enclosure,
>> bacula version 3.0.2
>
> If it's mirrored, or part of any RAID1 or higher configuration, you can
> swap out the failed disk and rebuild the mirror.  If it is a single,
> unmirrored disk ... sorry, but if it's failed, you're SOL.
> Check the disk with smartmontools or similar before you assume it's bad,
> and check your kernel logs for write failures.  Is it possible it's just
> thrashing?

Just to clear up confusion, I am talking about the disk being *written
to*. It is not in a RAID, it is just in an external SATA/FW enclosure.
Since I cannot yet (AFAIK) send SMART commands across the USB/FW bus,
I had to settle with xfs_check. Which caused the disk to again make
bad clunking noises and output btree block errors. This could just
indicate filesystem corruption, but the question is moot for the
purposes of this particular job.

I hit the IRC channel up, and after discussing the issue with the fine
folks there, came to the conclusion that I am indeed SOL. Maybe its on
a list of "would be nice to have" already, but I sure would have liked
to not have had to invalidate the whole job on account of one bad
volume.

Thanks for taking the time to reply, sincerely!

-- Mark