Bacula-users

[Bacula-users] only incremental Backup of a growing amount of data

2010-10-17 16:06:22
Subject: [Bacula-users] only incremental Backup of a growing amount of data
From: Sebastian Gutweiler <newsletter AT gutweiler DOT net>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Sun, 17 Oct 2010 22:01:42 +0200
Hi,

I have the following situation:

- A data storage server (4TB) with a growing amount of scientific data. Data
which is already on the server will probably stay there and only occasionally
some will be deleted.
- A backup server with 4,5TB

My problem is (if I understand the documentation right):

- If I perform an incremental backup into one big volume file, the space
occupied by files deleted on the storage server won't be freed, because the
files will be deleted from the catalog but will stay in the volume file. Is
this right?

- If I use small volume files, the old volume files won't be deleted/reused
because they will contain files which are still on the storage server.

- I can't do 2 Full backups and then delete the elder one, because if more than
2,25TB space are used on the storage server there is not enough space for this
on the backup server.

Am I missing something? Is there an option/setup method to avoid these problems?

Thank you very much,

Sebastian