Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Two storage daemons - is it possible

2010-10-12 06:19:41
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Two storage daemons - is it possible
From: "James Harper" <james.harper AT bendigoit.com DOT au>
To: "Stephen Carr" <sgcarr AT civeng.adelaide.edu DOT au>, <bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Tue, 12 Oct 2010 21:15:59 +1100

> Dear All
>
> I need advice regarding having several storage daemons that share the
> MySQL database and discs (using NFS) but one storage daemon manages
the
> tape unit.
>
> All backups go to disc but the Full backups are migrated to tape
overnight.

> The reason for asking this question is that we backup 60 laptops
during
> the working week between 9 am and 4 pm with 12 having a full backup on
> one of the week days. The problem is the network is saturated and some
> clients are slow and others have large amounts of data. (Applications
> etc are not backed up only user data).
>
> I suspect the NFS and MySQL traffic may negate any gain by having
extra
> storage daemons.
>
> Another option is to see if bonding two network adapters may work.

The director talks to MySQL, the storage daemon does not. You can have
as many storage daemons as you want, although migration does not work
between them (or at least it didn't last time I checked), but each sd
could have its own set of NFS volumes connected via a different network
connection.

If the data was being backed up at half the rate would there still be
enough time in the day to complete the backups? You could simply
throttle the rate to an acceptable percentage of total bandwidth such
that the backups still completed in time.

James