Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Best practise Pools/Volumes using iscsi

2010-07-06 09:19:48
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Best practise Pools/Volumes using iscsi
From: Phil Stracchino <alaric AT metrocast DOT net>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Tue, 06 Jul 2010 09:16:32 -0400
On 07/06/10 08:41, Alex Huth wrote:
> Hello!
>
> I have to implement bacula using iscsi as a storage device. Now i am
> asking me how i have to use Pools and Volumes the best way. what we have
> to backup are ~ 50 Hosts spread over three stages: production, test and
> development.
>
> Is it a good way to have Pools for the stages and a Volume for each
> host? Do i have any advantage having seperate Volumes for each host,
> when i do not use Tapes? Maybe increased performance when searching the
> catalog doing a restore for a client?

These questions are completely orthogonal to the question of using iSCSI
storage devices.  Handle iSCSI disk storage as you would any other disk
pool.

- Your mapping of clients to disk volumes will make no difference
whatsoever to the speed of searching the Catalog during restores.  The
catalog is the catalog.  It records what was backed up, from which
clients, on which volumes, when.

- You CAN assign individual volumes per client, if you really wish.  But
it will cause you a lot of extra work, as you will either be constrained
to back up only one client at a time, or create fifty Storage devices,
as each Storage device can have only a single Volume mounted at a time.
 Far better to allocate a single Volume for each day's backups and back
up all clients that day to it.

- Having seperate Pools for production, test and development "stages" is
up to you, but keep in mind the caveat above.  Unless you want one set
of clients to have to queue behind another, you'll have to either create
separate Storage devices or let all clients use the same Pool.

- You're more likely to find you want to create separate Pools by backup
level, to facilitate different retention times for different levels.

- Most of this is covered in the Getting Started section of the Bacula
manual.

- You're probably going to want to either look into the
truncate-on-purge feature, or do some external scripting to delete
purged Volumes as an admin job.  Possibly both.

co.ordinate DOT org
                 It's not the years, it's the mileage.