Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Backup to remote location

2010-06-25 18:36:34
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Backup to remote location
From: Doug Forster <dforster AT part DOT net>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Fri, 25 Jun 2010 16:33:34 -0600
Massimiliano,

I would work this with some clever scheduling. Create a few of schedules.

Schedule {
   Name = "Weekly-incremental"
   Run = Level=Incremental mon-fri at 20:00
}

Schedule {
   Name = "Weekly-full"
   Run = Level=Full Fri at 21:00
}

Schedule {
   Name = "Catalog-backup"
   Run = Full mon-fri at 3:10
}

Essentially create Jobs to do incremental on the Weekly-incremental
schedule and then create your weekly full on the Weekly-full schedule
this will schedule the full jobs right after the incremental if you have
the incremental always sync between sites then the Fulls shouldn't
matter that much just make sure you have a local copy for easy recovery.
Make sure your catalog is backed up offsite every day.

Making separate pools for your data is something else to do. One pool is
synced and another is not. (Weekly-full)
Another thing to consider is space. Are you going to want to keep a year
of incremental backups on each site? You may want to keep just 3 months
and do quarterly remote site backups. This will help with keeping
retention times of your backups in check.

Weekly-full backups will only need to be kept for a week however your
Weekly-incremental will need to be kept until you redo your
annual/quarterly full.

Additionally backups that need to be sent offsite could be spooled to
files and then rsynced or simply copied using a cronjob. With this setup
if you remove a file from the source but it is still marked as append
then the first job will error and get rescheduled. The volume will be
marked as error and it will clutter the database and pull them from
whatever rotation you choose to use.

Possible but unlikely problems with this setup include:
If someone manages to change a file between when the Weekly-incremental
is completed and the weekly-full starts. This data will be lost if you
try to restore after the Weekly-full is purged. This will be a big
problem if the data is never touched and picked up with the next
incremental.

Hope this helps.

Doug Forster