Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Slow spooling

2010-06-14 13:26:40
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Slow spooling
From: John Drescher <drescherjm AT gmail DOT com>
To: Keith Edmunds <kae AT midnighthax DOT com>
Date: Mon, 14 Jun 2010 13:23:28 -0400
On Mon, Jun 14, 2010 at 12:17 PM, Keith Edmunds <kae AT midnighthax DOT com>
wrote:
> We're seeing very slow spooling from a locally-attached disk:
>
> 12-Jun 10:31 rodney-sd JobId 179: User specified spool size reached.
> 12-Jun 10:44 rodney-sd JobId 179: Spooling data again ...
> 12-Jun 15:11 rodney-sd JobId 179: User specified spool size reached.
> 12-Jun 15:23 rodney-sd JobId 179: Spooling data again ...
> 12-Jun 19:59 rodney-sd JobId 179: User specified spool size reached.
> 12-Jun 20:12 rodney-sd JobId 179: Spooling data again ...
> 12-Jun 23:33 rodney-sd JobId 179: User specified spool size reached.
> 12-Jun 23:46 rodney-sd JobId 179: Spooling data again ...
>
> The spool size is set to 40Gb, so the above shows around 12-13 minutes to
> despool 40Gb to tape (sounds reasonable: tape is LT04), but between about
> 3.5hrs and 4.5hrs to copy the data to the spooling area.
>
> Both the spooling area and and source disk are locally mounted SCSI disks.
> No other Bacula jobs are running. A manual copy of data from the source
> disk to the spooling area seems not unreasonably slow: 11G copied in 5m15s,
> which would suggest that the 40Gb spool size should be copied in around 19
> minutes.
>
> I fully accept that this slow spooling may be due to factors other than
> Bacula, but given that manual copy is running around 10-12 faster than the
> Bacula spool, I was wondering if there are any known issues with Bacula
> spooling? (Also grateful for other suggestions or tests we can run).

One main other factor is random disk performance on the source
filesystem. Since backups are not a sequential operation you will get
no where near the performance of copying a large file. Also are you
taking about full backups or incrementals/differentials. For the
latter 2 backup rate tends to be slow because most of the time is
spent finding the changed files.

John