Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Where is Windows "Bacula" Server?

2010-05-27 15:37:24
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Where is Windows "Bacula" Server?
From: Phil Stracchino <alaric AT metrocast DOT net>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Thu, 27 May 2010 15:33:19 -0400
On 05/27/10 14:31, Heitor Faria wrote:
> "The server daemons (Director and Storage daemon) are no longer included
> in the Windows installer. If you want the Windows servers, you will
> either need to build them yourself (note they have not been ported to 64
> bits), or you can contact Bacula Systems about this."
>
> I feel terrible reading this.
> Bacula is probably the most used backup software in the world, just
> because it is a Free Software.
> If Bacula Systems start to provide different solutions than the free
> version, it will die.

No it won't.  The free version will always be available.  The purpose of
Bacula Systems is to provide paid, *supported* Bacula solutions for
enterprise users who ABSOLUTELY REQUIRE that anything they use be
formally supported.  This is a direct parallel to the business model of
Cygnus Solutions, arguably the first successful open-source-based
company, which was in the business of providing paid, *fully supported*
custom ports of the entire GNU development toolchain (gcc, binutils, gdb
etc) to customer architectures.  This did not cause gcc to die.

Trust me on this:  The sky is not falling.

> Is there a cross-compile manual? I will be very glad to compile the
> Windows Bacula Server version.

I personally can't help you with that, not having done it myself, but
one or another of the other Bacula folks who monitor this list should be
able to tell you how to do it.

co.ordinate DOT org
                 It's not the years, it's the mileage.