Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] "Wrong" volume label when client not running

2010-05-20 08:01:33
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] "Wrong" volume label when client not running
From: Phil Stracchino <alaric AT metrocast DOT net>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Thu, 20 May 2010 07:59:09 -0400
On 05/20/10 05:49, Mike Holden wrote:
> I have bacula set up to create formatted labels which include the
> client name and job name, such that a typical label will look like:
>
>     Daily-tux2-fd-2010_05_20-03_05-Tux2
>
> where tux2 is the name of the client.
>
> I also set Max Volume Jobs = 1 for each volume, so it is only ever
> used once, and never recycled.

Just checking:  You do understand that using "Max Volume Jobs = 1" will
prevent backup concurrency unless you either create multiple Storage
devices or use the virtual changer, right?

> Now the next backup is started, for a client called "jewel". Because
> the failed tux2 backup created a volume, this backup now uses the
> confusingly named volume already created but not used:

Yes, because Bacula contains no mechanism or directive to restrict an
arbitrary Volume to hold only Jobs from a given Client.  The only way
you could accomplish this using existing Bacula configuration directives
would be to give each Client its own Pool.  This is the simplest
currently existing solution to your problem.

> I also appreciate, before someone else point it out, that using
> labels with dates in them etc is not a good idea due to recycling
> files, but these files are not recycled, and only used once each, so
> there is no future confusion built in, so don't bother pointing that
> one out to me!! :-)

It may well be widely considered "not a good idea", but I do it myself
without any problem.  It simply requires having a method to regularly
remove purged Volumes from disk and from the Catalog.

co.ordinate DOT org
                 It's not the years, it's the mileage.