Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Disk volume management - catalog<>disk discrepencies

2010-05-18 07:51:13
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Disk volume management - catalog<>disk discrepencies
From: Craig Ringer <craig AT postnewspapers.com DOT au>
To: bacula-users <bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Tue, 18 May 2010 19:48:02 +0800
On 18/05/2010 6:19 PM, John Drescher wrote:
> On Tue, May 18, 2010 at 12:38 AM, Craig Ringer
> <craig AT postnewspapers.com DOT au>  wrote:
>> Hi folks
>>
>> I've been having a lot of problems with Bacula's disk volume management
>> over time. Most issues seem to stem from cases where the catalog gets
>> out of sync with the file system, like:
>>
>> - Volume inserted into catalog, creation of file on disk fails, volume
>>   remains in catalog
>>
>> - Write to volume fails, resulting in volume that's shorter on disk than
>>   the catalog thinks it should be because the catalog is updated with
>>   the *expected* size assuming the write is successful. Further backups
>>   try to use this volume and fail. Restores from this volume fail. ARgh!
>
> If the disk/array was full the bacula volume should have been marked
> full when no space is left on the device. After the volume is marked
> full then it should not have been used for additional backups.

That doesn't help much, since it's the storage device that's full not
that volume. Attempting to allocate a new volume on the same storage
will fail because the previous one used up all the space. This fails,
and Bacula merrily tries to make another one....

> You need to prevent the disk from filling up completely.

Ha! That'd be nice. I only have 8TB to play with, and I'm not in
complete control of how users work with the storage being backed up.

In general, I can prevent disk-full, and of course Bacula can't be
expected to continue happily if the disk does fill up for some reason.
My issue is that it doesn't fail in any graceful or sensible way.

In any case, usually "disk full" here means "a particular logical volume
for a subset of my backups filled up". I isolate different backup sets
so that the failure of one doesn't affect others.

> Also is your database on the same filesystem as your disk volumes?
> This could cause serious problems in a disk full situation.

No, it isn't. Each Storage device gets its own dedicated logical volume
to hold volumes from that backup set. The database has its own logical
volume, as does the root fs (including var and so on).

--
Craig Ringer