Bacula-users

[Bacula-users] Windows registry restore possible?

2010-04-27 13:16:31
Subject: [Bacula-users] Windows registry restore possible?
From: jdb AT mayhem DOT com
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Tue, 27 Apr 2010 12:50:30 -0400
I'm primarily a Linux user, and have been quite happy with Bacula on
Linux.  I also have some Windows servers which I'm stuck managing as
well, and I have Bacula configured on those.  One of those servers, a
Windows Server 2003 machine, recently managed to corrupt its SOFTWARE
registry to the point that it wouldn't boot.

Is it possible to restore just the registry without restoring the entire
backup?  I have the VSS enabled in the Bacula config, and the email log
from a recent backup makes it sound like the registry is being backed up:

21-Apr 00:49 zzzzzz-fd JobId 37835: VSS Writer (BackupComplete): "Registry
Writer", State: 0x1 (VSS_WS_STABLE)

If I could find a saved registry hive file from this backup, I'd be happy - I
used the recovery console to restore an earlier hive file, which got the server
back up, but that was a save point from a service pack install and is not very
recent.

One problem may be that my default Windows exclude list which I picked up
somewhere includes this line:  WildDir = "[A-Z]:/WINDOWS/system32/config"
The registry hive files are stored in this directory on disk, but I'm hoping
the VSS snapshot saves them elsewhere.

Searching the database for the filename "software" shows only the "repair" copy
installed when Windows was installed:

$ find software
C:/WINDOWS/repair/software

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.