Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] File volumes doesnt reach Maximun volumes

2010-04-27 06:26:40
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] File volumes doesnt reach Maximun volumes
From: Matija Nalis <mnalis+bacula AT CARNet DOT hr>
To: Jorge Cabello <jorge AT aspl DOT es>
Date: Tue, 27 Apr 2010 12:24:05 +0200
On Tue, Apr 27, 2010 at 11:36:34AM +0200, Jorge Cabello wrote:
> I'm using 3 pools: full, differential and incremental. All of the with:
> Volume Retention = 1 month
> RecycleOldestVolume = yes
>
> Full Pool (1st of each month): Maximum volumes = 2
> Differential Pool (15th of each month):Maximum volumes = 2
> Incremental Pool (not 1st or 15th): Maximun Volumes = 45
>
> My problem is that the incremental pool does not grow above 30 volumes. As I
> have read the number of volumes should be increasing till Maximum volumes
> limit
> is reached, right?

If I'm correct, it is probably due to volume retention of 1 month -
after one month, the oldest volume will be recycled.

It will never go *above* 45, even if you increase retention (in that
case it will stop and ask operator to insert/label new empty volumes)

Note that retention does not directly influence data on tape, but
just the catalog database; so you could still bscan(8) old tapes and
get data back in the catalog - it is only when those volumes finally
get used again that the old data will be destroyed.