Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Laptop backup

2010-04-18 07:24:04
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Laptop backup
To: "bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net" <bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Sun, 18 Apr 2010 04:22:40 -0700
You are right, ping is an active polling method, and probably not the best tool
for the job. It would probably work if you only have a few laptops. If you want
to back up many of them, I agree that it may cause too much ICMP traffic.

Also, you would need a mechanism to detect that a backup has already started or
has run within the last 24 hours.

A better approach is probably some kind of passive mechanism. For instance, if
you are in a domain, you could create a startup or logon script that creates a
"flag" file somewhere on your server. Then create a Linux script that checks if
that file has been created. If it has been created, kick of bacula and delete
the flag file. Now all you have to do is call this script from your crontab
every 15 minutes or so.

There are variations of this approach. You could use fam instead of polling
from a crontab.

Or you could give your client computers permission to access bconsole and kick
off the backup from within a startup script (note: if you use a logon script,
you have to give the USER account permission. If you use a startup script, you
have to give the COMPUTER account permission to use bconsole).