Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Vista 64 bit and sparse files

2010-04-01 23:04:34
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Vista 64 bit and sparse files
From: uhog-v9e4 AT spamex DOT com
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Thu, 01 Apr 2010 23:05:11 -0500
OK, I may have just found this. Running another 3rd party tool "windirstat"
with admin privileges uncovered a bunch of files in the
/tmp/bacula-restore/System Volume Information directory, about 34Gb to be
exact. I have never excluded this dir on my 32-bit XP clients and have not had
a problem and obviously there's something strange going on here because if I
run the same tool on the production client with admin priv it reports /System
Volume Information consuming practically no space. Very odd. Anyway, I will
exclude these and run another backup this weekend and see how it goes. Thanks
everyone.

Mike
On 3/29/2010 7:33 PM, James Harper wrote:

> > A backup of a Windows computer uses the BackupRead API to generate the
> > data to go to the SD. BackupRead reads a single stream of data that
> > includes the file attributes, ownership, acls, data, Alternate Data
> > Streams, and sparse information. Bacula shouldn't need to know or care
> > if the file is sparse or not, it just backs up the data that BackupRead
> > returns.
> >
> > I wouldn't expect that 'sparse=yes' would have any useful impact unless
> > there is a bug in which case it will probably break things.
> >
> > Can you restore the job somewhere else (another windows machine) and see
> > if the restored files match up with the backed up files? Look out for
> > any restore errors that say that the file sizes don't match.
> >
> > James
OK, what I ended up doing here was creating a new 64-bit Vista virtual machine
from scratch and restored my production client to this VM in the
/tmp/bacula-restores directory. Before the restore ran, I was using just a
touch over 10Gb. When the restore was complete I had over half the disk showing
used but only about one fourth showing allocated. The /tmp/bacula-restores
directory shows about 9Gb in use which is about what I expect, but look at this
output from TreeSize Free
TreeSize Free Report, 4/1/2010  10:08 PM
V 2.4
Drive: Local Disk (C:)
Drive: C:\     Size: 107,503.0 MB     Used: 59,869.3 MB     Free: 47,633.7 MB
     4096 Bytes per Cluster (NTFS)
This Folder:  Size: 22,316.2 MB     Allocated: 22,594.4 MB     Percent of
Drive: 21 %        Objects: 139,299      Wasted Space: 300.5 MB

And if you don't want to believe that, here is what Windows chkdsk shows from a
command prompt:
Windows has checked the file system and found no problems.

 110083071 KB total disk space.
  61306064 KB in 124887 files.
     64936 KB in 21539 indexes.
         0 KB in bad sectors.
    252575 KB in use by the system.
     65536 KB occupied by the log file.
  48459496 KB available on disk.

      4096 bytes in each allocation unit.
  27520767 total allocation units on disk.
  12114874 allocation units available on disk.

But yet, I do not see any actual file that is reporting a large size in Windows
Explorer.

01-Apr 19:13 pendual-dir JobId 504: Bacula pendual-dir 3.0.2 (18Jul09):
+01-Apr-2010 19:13:13
  Build OS:               i686-pc-linux-gnu ubuntu 8.04
  JobId:                  504
  Job:                    RestoreFiles.2010-04-01_11.25.26_47
  Restore Client:         vtest-fd
  Start time:             01-Apr-2010 11:25:28
  End time:               01-Apr-2010 19:13:13
  Files Expected:         82,062
  Files Restored:         81,207
  Bytes Restored:         49,562,616,479
  Rate:                   1766.0 KB/s
  FD Errors:              0
  FD termination status:  OK
  SD termination status:  OK
  Termination:            Restore OK -- warning file count mismatch

The restore completed OK other than a file count mismatch, but no errors about
sizes or anything like that. And it thinks it restored 49Gb, which matches up
pretty much exactly with the 59Gb I appear to be using now(49Gb restored +10Gb
originally on the disk). Ideas?

Thanks,
Mike