Bacula-users

[Bacula-users] Deleting files/folders on restores

2010-04-01 06:15:03
Subject: [Bacula-users] Deleting files/folders on restores
From: Marco Zimmermann <mzimmermann AT habegger DOT ch>
To: <bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Thu, 01 Apr 2010 11:54:51 +0200
Hello!

We are using bacula for our server backups since about 6 month.

Now we are setting up and configuring a new linux server and we want to use bacula to jump back to a previous state if something goes wrong. So in case we install some wrong packages or mess up the whole system, we just want to be able to jump back to a earlier state.

So we installed and configured the bacula-fd and did some backups. Everything works fine, we can restore files and folders with the restore command.

But there is one thing I don’t understand:
  • There is a folder on the system, e.g. /home/test, with some file in it (.bashrc and so on)
  • I do a full backup, e.g. JobId 1
  • I create a subfolder with some files in it, e.g. /home/test/testfolder/testfile.txt
  • I do a Incremental Backup, e.g. JobId 2
  • Now I want to go back to the state of the folder /home/test of JobId 1, because I want the folder in the exact same state it was on Monday after the backup 1
  • I do a restore, from the JobId 1, mark the folder /home/test and restore it directly to the original location (modifying the restore job -> where -> enter “/” for none), using replace:always
  • restore is OK
  • What I get is the folder /home/test with the files like .bashrc from JobId 1, but the new folder “testfolder”, which I don’t want, remains with it’s content (testfile.txt)

How can I change this behavior? I mean restore in a way that newer files/folders will be deleted?

If I imagine I would restore the whole machine like this, I have to expect that a lot of crap remains on the machine!? So the only way in order to get the exact state, I have to delete all files from the disk and to a complete restore!? Isn’t there a other way?

Thanks in Advance!

Marco