Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Tapes appearing in the wrong pool

2010-03-30 17:32:10
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Tapes appearing in the wrong pool
From: Craig Miskell <craig.miskell AT opus.co DOT nz>
To: bacula-users <bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Wed, 31 Mar 2010 10:28:28 +1300
>> So the catalog thinks ComMon2 is in the Mondays pool, and the storage
>> daemon thinks it's in the Weekly pool.  Does the
>> pool info get written to the tape itself?  I'm about 90% sure that ComMon2
>> has never been in the Weekly pool, but this
>> is my first deployment, so stranger things might have happened along the
>> way.
>>
>> If there's no pool info on the tape directly, then where is it getting
>> this erroneous idea from?  I'm happy to file a
>> bug if it truly is one, but want to be sure I'm not missing the obvious
>> first.
>>

> I may be completely mistaken, but I think pool info is only in the catalog,
> and for director's use only. I think SD would care about volume names/labels
> only. So, that "pool" line in SD's status might be (dis)informational only,
> though it does look incorrect... Volumes may be moved between pools (like
> move to scratch pool after purge) anyway, with no need for the physical
> volume to be accessible.
That was my expectation too, and I think I have an answer now; from the source,
the status of the device uses a pool
name for the device, which is only updated when the device is reserved (i.e. a
job actually starts on that device).   If
a new tape gets inserted and mounted, the device will still report the previous
pool until a job that needs to append to
the device.  I think this counts as a bug (even "*unknown*" would be a better
report than the wrong pool), so I'll file
a report.

> What I'm wondering, is that ComMon2 has status "used" (like all the volumes
> you listed) together with the strange count of VolBytes=1. So, could this be
> the reason why Bacula is waiting for another (appendable) tape?
The last time that tape was used, the job failed; it had started writing, but
then something went horribly wrong (can't
recall what), leaving it in that state.  I think you're correct that the pool
name is a side-issue.

Thanks,
Craig