Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Recycle Pool and autoloaders

2010-03-30 11:01:34
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Recycle Pool and autoloaders
From: Dermot Beirne <dermot.beirne AT dpd DOT ie>
To: drescherjm <drescherjm AT gmail DOT com>
Date: Tue, 30 Mar 2010 15:52:28 +0100
Hi,
I must be missing something here. Every day we take out the tape that was used the night before, and put it in a safe (in case the comms rooms is ever inaccessible).  We then look for a tape from the scratch pool to put into the empty slot.  This is fine, except that the scratch pool is not being replenished.

You say you pick the replacement tapes from the oldest or new volumes.  Do you have to manually purge the oldest tapes before you can put them in the drive?  Do you use retention periods at all, or just cycle them yourself?

I'm curious if your method could solve my problem.

Dermot.

On 30 March 2010 15:43, John Drescher <drescherjm AT gmail DOT com> wrote:
> Thanks for replying, I was afraid you might say something like that!
> It does seem strange that such scripting would be necessary, as anyone with
> an autoloader must have a similar dilemma.

I have an 2 drive 24 slot autoloader. I definitely do not have this
problem. I change tapes probably 1 time ever 3 months by looking at
the latest 5 to 10 volumes and swapping them out for the oldest
volumes or new volumes.

John