Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Concurrency and VirtualFulls

2010-03-30 08:37:56
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Concurrency and VirtualFulls
From: Graham Keeling <graham AT equiinet DOT com>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Tue, 30 Mar 2010 13:43:08 +0100
On Tue, Mar 23, 2010 at 11:41:05AM +0000, Graham Keeling wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I would like to be able to tell bacula that Incrementals cannot be run whilst
> another Incremental is running.
> I would also like to be able to tell bacula that VirtualFulls *can* be run
> whilst an Incremental is running.
>
> Is that possible?

I thought I'd try it this way - having one job for the incrementals, and one
job for the virtualfulls (using bacula-5.0.1 and disk volumes).

Schedule { (incr schedule) }
Schedule { (virtualfull schedule) }
Pool { (full pool) }
Pool { (incr pool) }
Client { (client) }
FileSet { (fileset) }
Storage {
  Name = "Disk 1"
  Device = "Disk 1.0"
  Device = "Disk 1.1"
  Device = "Disk 1.2"
  Maximum Concurrent Jobs = 20
}
Job {
  Name = "VirtualJob"
  Type = Backup
  Level = VirtualFull
  Schedule = "(virtualfull schedule)"
  Pool = "(incr pool)"
  Priority = 10
  Client = "client"
  FileSet = "fileset"
  Full Backup Pool = "(full pool)"
  Incremental Backup Pool = "(incr pool)"
  Maximum Concurrent Jobs = 1
  Storage = "(storage)"
  Accurate = yes
}
Job {
  Name = "RealJob"
  Type = Backup
  Level = Incremental
  Schedule = "(incr schedule)"
  Pool = "(incr pool)"
  Priority = 10
  Client = "client"
  FileSet = "fileset"
  Full Backup Pool = "(full pool)"
  Incremental Backup Pool = "(incr pool)"
  Maximum Concurrent Jobs = 1
  Storage = "(storage)"
  Accurate = yes
}

I had already run some Incrementals with 'RealJob' (the first got upgraded to
a Full).

I then started 'VirtualJob', and a few seconds later, 'RealJob'.

'RealJob' completed OK.

But 'VirtualJob' said:
Warning: acquire.c:265 Read acquire: label.c:239 Could not reserve volume
backup-0193 on "Disk 1.2" (/write/mnt/Disk 1/var/lib/bacula/volumes)

It looks like backup-0193 was being read by 'RealJob'.

'VirtualJob' then started asking the operator to mount backup-0193, which
I couldn't help it with, no matter how much I typed 'mount' and 'unmount' into
bconsole (but that's another problem for another day).

The question is:
Why does the Incremental job need to read (and reserve) the volume?