Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Vista 64 bit and sparse files

2010-03-29 19:36:03
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Vista 64 bit and sparse files
From: "James Harper" <james.harper AT bendigoit.com DOT au>
To: <uhog-v9e4 AT spamex DOT com>, <bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Tue, 30 Mar 2010 10:33:48 +1100
> Hi everyone,
>
> I am using Bacula 3.02 client and server to backup several machines on
my home
> network. It has been working great. Recently, I added my first Vista
machine
> which also happens to be 64-bit and now, although the backups
complete, it
> takes hours and the statistics are nonsense. I can only guess that
sparse
> files are at the root cause here, but cannot figure out how to track
this
> down.

A backup of a Windows computer uses the BackupRead API to generate the
data to go to the SD. BackupRead reads a single stream of data that
includes the file attributes, ownership, acls, data, Alternate Data
Streams, and sparse information. Bacula shouldn't need to know or care
if the file is sparse or not, it just backs up the data that BackupRead
returns.

I wouldn't expect that 'sparse=yes' would have any useful impact unless
there is a bug in which case it will probably break things.

Can you restore the job somewhere else (another windows machine) and see
if the restored files match up with the backed up files? Look out for
any restore errors that say that the file sizes don't match.

James