Bacula-users

[Bacula-users] Possibility of parallelising encryption?

2010-03-28 14:28:20
Subject: [Bacula-users] Possibility of parallelising encryption?
From: Richard Scobie <richard AT sauce.co DOT nz>
To: bacula-users <bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Mon, 29 Mar 2010 07:26:15 +1300
I have a 2.8GHz Core i7 machine backing up uncompressable data spooled
onto an 8 drive RAID5, to LTO-4 tape.

Our requirements now dictate that data encryption must be used on the
tapes and having configured this, it seems that one core is saturated
encrypting the data and the result is that tape write speed is now about
50% slower than when encryption is not used.

Would it be possible to optimise this task by perhaps reading data in
"chunks", which in turn can be encrypted by a core each, before being
recombined and written out to tape?

I'd use the hardware encryption (which presumably has no performance
impact), that is an option on this autochanger, except they want $2500
for it...

Regards,

Richard