Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Long-term backups - was: Hard disk as backup media

2010-03-26 14:16:31
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Long-term backups - was: Hard disk as backup media
From: Bob Hetzel <beh AT case DOT edu>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Fri, 26 Mar 2010 14:13:52 -0400

>> > What is the best strategy and storage media for long-term backups, say
>> > to 10 or 20 years (if any)? I ask because I do have an old DLT tape
>> > drive and some tapes, unusable, because its SCSI controller is no longer
>> > among us. It is not 10 years old and is already a problem.
>> >
>> > --
>> > Marcio Merlone
>> >

> Thinking in long term, i belive that the future is the cloud. Pay for 'hire'
> space and let the others take care of migrating data to new technologies
> when they will be available
>
> D.

And what will you do when that company goes bankrupt and shuts down?  Your
best case scenario is that you will get 90 days notice.  Have any of these
business gone away with no notice at all yet?  I'd be wary of any company
that says they can store unlimited data for less than the price of a 2 TB
hard drive.  There are no economies of scale with respect to high-end
storage, only the administration of that storage--when the amount of data
stored gets very large, the cost of the staff members maintaining it become
far less significant than the cost of the storage array + rent/air
conditioning/electricity/redundancy location/etc of the facility housing it.

If you really need to keep the data you have to figure all the issues such
as exactly how long you need it for and how rapidly you need to be able to
get it, as well as how often.  If you don't care enough about long-term
accessibility of the data to pay for 100% likelihood you'll be able to get
it whenever you need it, you're probably just paying for something you'll
never use.