Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] bacula: parallel jobs

2010-03-03 11:27:12
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] bacula: parallel jobs
From: Phil Stracchino <alaric AT metrocast DOT net>
To: Alexey Wasilyev <awasilyev AT griddynamics DOT com>
Date: Wed, 03 Mar 2010 11:21:49 -0500
On 03/03/10 09:04, Alexey Wasilyev wrote:
> Hello!
>
> According to
> http://www.mail-archive.com/bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT
> net/msg40334.html
> you configure bacula for runinng multiple jobs using the same device
> concurrently. Can you show me your bacula config's ? Thank you.

It's really pretty simple.  The important thing is to have the "Maximum
Concurrent Jobs" set to an adequate value in all the necessary places.

The places it needs to go are:

- the Director resource in bacula-dir.conf
- each Storage resource in bacula-dir.conf
- the FileDaemon resource in bacula-sd.conf
- each Storage resource in bacula-sd.conf

You need to set it adequately in ALL of these places.

So, what's "adequately"?

Each Storage resource needs its Maximum Concurrent Jobs set to _at
least_ the number of simultaneous jobs you want to be able to use that
Storage at any time, _plus at least one_ so that you can make status
requests to it.  The FileDaemon resource should have its Maximum
Concurrent Jobs set to _at least_ the maximum number of jobs you expect
to run on ALL of its defined Storage resources, _plus at least one_.
And the Director should have be able to handle _at least_ the total
number of jobs that will be run on all the FileDaemons it knows about,
plus at least one.

So, suppose you have a moderately complex installation, with two
FileDaemons each controlling three Storage devices, and you want to be
able to run ten simultaneous jobs to each Storage.  Then you need each
Storage set for Maximum Concurrent Jobs = 11 or more.  Let's say 12.
Each FileDaemon needs to control its three Storages, so each FileDaemon
needs Maximum Concurrent Jobs = 37 or more (3x12+1).  And the Director
needs to control both FileDaemons, so it needs a minimum Maximum
Concurrent Jobs = 75 (37x2+1).  In this example, I might set 15 per
storage, 50 per FileDaemon, and 100 on the Director.

On any new installation, the default configuration files are written
with Maximum Concurrent Jobs = 20 by default.  Realistically, that
SHOULD be plenty for most small installations.  But if you need more
than about 20 jobs to be able to run at once, then try following these
guidelines.

If you already have Maximum Concurrent Jobs set to 20 or more in all the
places it needs to be set, and you still can't run multiple concurrent
jobs, something else is wrong.  Remember that you can only have a single
Volume open at a time on a given Storage device, so if your Pool
definitions set a limit of one job per volume or, equivalently, Use
Volume Once, then you're effectively limiting yourself to one job per
Storage device at any one time.  If you're restricting Volume usage, you
need to do it in a way that will not prevent you from running as many
jobs as you want to on each Storage device.  This doesn't mean that you
can't limit Volume usage to one job per Volume; but if you do, and you
still want to run multiple jobs concurrently, then you need to create
enough Storage devices to have one Storage per job available.

(If you're using disk storage, then multiple Storage resources can point
to the same physical disk device, but for tape storage, you can only
have one Storage definition per physical tape drive, because you can
only load one tape in a tape drive at once but - in 5.x, at least, not
sure about earlier - you can have multiple disk volumes on a physical
disk device.)

co.ordinate DOT org
                 It's not the years, it's the mileage.