Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Copying huge number of files - very slow

2010-03-02 13:13:43
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Copying huge number of files - very slow
From: Sean Carolan <scarolan AT gmail DOT com>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Tue, 2 Mar 2010 12:10:40 -0600
> I confess my first reaction is that any time your answer involves two
> different backup systems working in series, you probably asked the wrong
> question in the first place.  If you're just copying all this data to
> tape for an offsite archive copy (which, one presumes, you're going to
> date and periodically rotate), why don't you just dump it with, say,
> cpio/afio?

There are few reasons for our current configuration:

1.  BackupPC has a web GUI that allows you to quickly restore files
that were accidentally deleted.  99% of the time this is all that is
required.  For example, a user might have accidentally deleted a
directory that they need.  With BackupPC I can restore the files, or
even give the end-user the ability to do this themselves.

2.  BackupPC does compression and file pooling.  If we were to try and
backup these same systems without compression and pooling we would
need over 8 terabytes of disk space.  Our current system uses only 1.2
terabytes.

3.  BackupPC is not well suited to tape backups.  Hence the decision
to augment our current system with bacula.

Another BackupPC user I contacted suggested that we unmount the entire
partition and do a block-level backup.  Would this be possible with
bacula?