Bacula-users

[Bacula-users] what strategy for backing up files only once?

2010-02-26 10:39:39
Subject: [Bacula-users] what strategy for backing up files only once?
From: Ralf Gross <Ralf-Lists AT ralfgross DOT de>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Fri, 26 Feb 2010 16:37:03 +0100
Howdy!

I'm still thinking if it would be possible to use bacula for backing
up xxx TB of data, instead of a more expensive solution with LAN-less
backups and snapshots.

Problem is the time window and bandwith.

If there would be something like a incremental forever feature in
bacula the problem could be solved. I know the Accurate Backup feature
but without deduplication (don't backup/store the same file more than
once) it's possible that the space needed for backups will grow (user
moves or renames a directory with 10 TB of data...) Accurate Backup
will detect this and back up the data again (instead of just pointing
to the new location inside the database).

The new Base Job feature doesn't seem to help too. It's a begin, but I
don't see how it could help here. It's more for large amounts of
clients with the same files at the same place.

What I need is a delta copy with file deduplication.

Am I missing something or is this just not possible right now?

Anyone backing up 100..200... TB data? (we back up some server with
10-15 TB filesets, but a full backup takes nearly a week with verify).

Ralf