Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Using two disks/problems using vchanger, what could be a good strategy?

2010-02-24 13:39:23
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Using two disks/problems using vchanger, what could be a good strategy?
From: Josh Fisher <jfisher AT pvct DOT com>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Wed, 24 Feb 2010 13:36:33 -0500
On 2/24/2010 12:03 PM, Administrator wrote:
> Hi,
> i use two simple usb-disks for backups. Each friday the aktive disk is
> exchanged and put in safe. Alas bacula asks me always to bring the last
> used volume online or label a new one. Labeling a new one solves the
> problem but this is not a good solution, as it involves manual
> interaction and lets the database grow if i got that right.
> I tried to use vchanger but after one week i come to the conclusion that
> this certainly great tool ads a complexity i can not handle.
> Is there any other solution, e.g. could i "close" a volume using a
> script and then change the disk? Would bacula create silently a new
> volume on the new disk if the last used volume was marked "full" before
> the disk is removed?

When you swap drives, you need to go into bconsole and manually update
the last volume used from status=Append to status=Used. The 'update
volume' command could also be issued in a script that is run whenever
the drives are swapped. The online docs explain how to issue Bacula
console commands in a script. Once the volume is marked 'Used', Bacula
will no longer try to use it and will look for another usable volume.