Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] trying to recreate a retrospect (I know...) backup strategy

2010-02-19 17:13:10
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] trying to recreate a retrospect (I know...) backup strategy
From: Arno Lehmann <al AT its-lehmann DOT de>
To: Bacula Users <bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Fri, 19 Feb 2010 23:09:57 +0100
Hello,

19.02.2010 22:09, shouldbe q931 wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> The Retrospect backup had two sets of "incremental archive" tapes,
> that ran for a year, set A in the 1st week, set B in the 2nd then set
> A in the 3rd week etc. Independently to this, at weekends there were a
> different set of tapes for doing full backups that rotated each week.

So far quite straightforward. I still don't see what advantage you
have to change tape sets on a weekly basis, but if you like to, why not...

> I'm struggling with how to recreate this in Bacula.

I suggest you should look at it from a higher level point of view:
What do you want to achieve, and how can you most easily achieve it?
One of the most important things in a backup setup, in my opinion, is
to keep it as simple as possible.

> My sticking points
> are how to not "invalidate" the incremental sets with each other, and
> how if a restore is needed from the incremental archive, it would only
> search through the incremental archive, and not point to one of the
> full backups,

The latter idea can't work - an incremental only backs up changes
against the previous backups, and you'll always end up with the latest
full backup in the chain. Otherwise they wouldn't be incrementals.

>  would I be able to purge or prine each tape before it
> was re-used for the full backup, or would I also have to "purge files
> from job" of the previous job they were used for ?

Why would you want to intentionally make data inaccessible?

> I was thinking that I needed three catalogs, but as the catalog is per
> client, that wouldn't work. Would having three differently named, but
> identically configured file sets work ?

I really don't know why you'd need more than one catalog for this.

> Or am I going to need to run three instances of the file daemon to get
> three catalogs, and if so, I'd really appreciate somebody pointing me
> in the direction of  how to do this.

God no... stop! ;-)

I'm just guessing what you really want, but this is my idea:

Create pools EvenFull, OddFull, EvenIncr, OddIncr. Set retention times
etc. as you want them. Use time should be six days.

Schedule jobs like this:

run level=full pool=EvenFull w01, w03, w05, w07, ..., w53 Sun at 22:00
run level=incremental pool=EvenIncr w00, w02, w04, ..., w52 Mon-Fri at
22:00
run level=full pool=OddFull w00, w02, w04, ..., w52 Sun at 22:00
run level=incremental pool=OddIncr w01, w03, w05, ..., w53 Mon-Fri at
22:00

If you can explain why I use the EvenFull pool on Sundays of the odd
weeks you know what I'm aiming at :-)

So, more abstract answer:
Don't play with catalogs, multiple FD instances, forced pruning or
purging - use pools and schedules. Fine-tuning the pool settings can
be challenging if your jobs tend to run very long, but that's only a
technical problem...

Cheers,

Arno

> Many thanks