Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Concurrent spooling and despooling

2010-02-16 06:34:29
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Concurrent spooling and despooling
From: Arno Lehmann <al AT its-lehmann DOT de>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Tue, 16 Feb 2010 12:30:44 +0100
Hi,

16.02.2010 11:50, Daniel Kamm wrote:
> That's maybe a stupid question, but I really wonder...
>
> Using Disk Spooling prior to write data to tape, heads in a sequential
> write order:
> a) write data from backup client to disk spool directory
> b) write data from spool directory to tape
>
> Why are those tasks done sequentially?

I know those three reasons:
- simultaneously spooling and despooling increases the requirements of
your spool space storage system even more
- it's never been implemented
- it's probably harder to implement than it looks at first.

> Let's say if the spool is reaching a waterlevel mark, the storage daemon
> will start to write the spool data to tape _and_ at the same time the
> backup client still sends data to the spool directory. Isn't that possible?

It's not possible now, but IIRC this has been discussed quite often,
but, while many users thought it might be a nice feature, nobody
started actually working on it.

There's actually a feature request regarding that, though it isn't on
the web site yet. It is, though still unnumbered, in the projects file
of the git tree.

Cheers,

Arno

> Cheerz,