Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Bacula Minimum Hardware Requirements, througput and stored data size records

2010-02-09 05:10:04
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Bacula Minimum Hardware Requirements, througput and stored data size records
From: Arno Lehmann <al AT its-lehmann DOT de>
To: "bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net" <bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Tue, 09 Feb 2010 11:07:29 +0100
Hello,

08.02.2010 21:02, Heitor Medrado de Faria wrote:
> Hello everyone,
>
> Im writing a academical paper about Bacula and I was wondering if anyone
> could provide me those informations:
>
> 1. Bacula Minimum Hardware Requirements.

As Dan pointed out - what the underlying OS needs. I had Bacula
running on an intel Pentium with, IIRC, 233 MHz and 128 MB RAM
(catalog DB was on another machine).

I've got Bacula running on an AMD Athlon 500 with 512 MB RAM.

I've also got several instances of Bacula running in Virtual Machines
with less than 512 MB RAM.

I'm pretty sure that, in theory, you could run a full Bacula on a
really minimal system, say 486-class, with 32 MB RAM and no local
disks at all, but I won't try this now :-)

> 2. Bacula maximum througput record.

A high percentage of what your hardware can deliver - I've seen
reports of Bacula saturating multiple LTO-3 drives, or two LTO-4 on
standard x86 hardware. If you look at what is possible with "real"
server hardware, and how well Bacula can scale if everything is
configured and tweaked, I don't think there is any built-in limitation
to Bacula's throughput. If you provide a really big Server with many
fast local disks, many fast FC connections, and a really fast SAN
storage, I'll gladly help you tweaking your setup :-)

Henrik gave some numbers - I believe he doesn't need any really
special hardware to get those numbers.

> 3. Bacula maximum stored data size backuped by the same director.

Will be limited by the available storage capacity only, so, in theory,
close to infinity... for practical reasons, you'll want some
information in the catalog, so I just invent a number and say "up to
10 Exabyte". Anyone claiming more please show me :-)

> Be my guest to provide me other useful information.

;-)

If we knew what you wanted to show or prove with your paper that might
even be possible.

Cheers,

Arno

> Regards,