Bacula-users

[Bacula-users] virtual full backups on file-based devices

2010-02-05 07:06:06
Subject: [Bacula-users] virtual full backups on file-based devices
From: Gavin McCullagh <gavin.mccullagh AT gcd DOT ie>
To: Bacula Users List <bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Fri, 5 Feb 2010 12:03:18 +0000
Hi,

I'd just like to run something by you guys to see am I doing it right.

We have a senior staff member who exclusively works on a laptop and moves
around and travels a lot.  A full backup takes 5+ hours due mainly to the
relatively slow disk and large amount of data.  That's just not practical.
An incremental takes about an hour, which is workable.

I have created a bacula job for his laptop.  We're using file-based volumes
on a reasonably remote server.  His assistant starts bconsole and types
"run" to start an incremental, accurate backup weekly.  We schedule a
monthly virtual full to consolidate the incrementals.  To facilitate this,
I've created two pools and two devices, all writing to the same directory
on the backup server.

If I'm right, I think I need to alternate the Pool each month in the
schedule, so that the most recent virtual full is used, something like:

Schedule {
  Name = "XXXXXXXXX-Schedule"
  # Create virtual full backups monthly
  #Run = VirtualFull Pool=XXXXXXXXX-Full-Pool 1st sun at 21:00
  Run = VirtualFull Pool=XXXXXXXXX-Full-Pool   jan,mar,may,jul,sep,nov 1st sun
at 21:00
  Run = VirtualFull Pool=XXXXXXXXX-Full-Pool-2 feb,apr,jun,aug,oct,dec 1st sun
at 21:00
}

Does that seem about right?  Many thanks in advance for any comments,

Gavin

# Default pool definition
Pool {
  Name = XXXXXXXXX-Full-Pool
  Pool Type = Backup
  Storage = "XXXXXXXXX-Storage-1"
  Recycle = yes                       # Bacula can automatically recycle Volumes
  AutoPrune = yes                     # Prune expired volumes
  Volume Retention = 3 months         # one year
  Label Format = XXXXXXXXX-Full-
  Maximum Volume Jobs = 1
  Maximum Volumes = 3
  NextPool = XXXXXXXXX-Full-Pool-2